As your doula, I am here to provide continuous support to you and your chosen birth partners through your pregnancy, birth, and into the post-partum period. My role is to listen to you and your partner, help to create your desired birthing environment and protect that, and work to give you the space to birth how you choose. I work alongside your chosen midwives and healthcare professionals, remaining warm, welcoming, and professional whilst advocating for you throughout, doing my best to ensure your choices are fully informed and respected.
All this is offered without judgment, but instead with practical and emotional support that is flexible, responsive, and personal.
I aim to create the opportunities for you to empower yourself. I will be mindful and present, answering your needs as they arise so you are free to birth.
I am registered with DoulaUK, and am working through their recognition process. I am a mentored doula, which means that I debrief each birth with my mentor (an experienced doula herself) and complete in-depth records for each birth I attend. You can see my DoulaUK profile HERE.
I have served at a wide range of births, adding to my experience and knowledge base each time, including home and hospital births, VBACs, supporting GBS+, eclampsia, vaginal birth, induction, PPROM, c-section (under local and general anaesthetic), and two amazing preemie babies.
I have completed my comprehensive ‘Red Tent’ doula training, a course recognised by DoulaUK. As well as this, I have completed an ABM (Association of Breastfeeding Mothers) ‘Introduction to Breastfeeding’ peer supporter course. I have also attended the DoulaUK conference in 2017, and am exhibiting there as a stall holder in 2018.
I also volunteer as a Listener with an online counselling agency, offering an open, supportive ear to those who need it, with a focus on pregnancy, birth, and post-partum depression. This has enabled me to complete modules in a huge variety of areas.
I am an admin for a local home birth support group, co-run our birth pool loan scheme, and am continually reading to update my knowledge and be able to bring that to you.
I am also a Mama of three, with a range of different personal birth and breastfeeding experiences. I have an avid interest in, and am a passionate advocate for empowered, informed birthing.
I am happy to serve as a doula for members of the LGBTQ+ community.
An initial meeting and interview with me is completely free, and absolutely necessary for us to ascertain if we are a good fit. It’s important to me that you have people you connect with and trust in your birthing space. I will always recommend meeting with several doulas to ensure you get the perfect fit for you. Whether that ends up being me, or someone else, I hope you find the perfect doula for you and wish you a wonderful pregnancy and birth.
My doula package is £420, and includes the following;
- a minimum of 2 visits during your pregnancy (not including our initial meeting and interview). These give us an opportunity to discuss your birth preferences, talk through your previous birth experiences (if any), relevant medical history, any particular concerns you may have, even something little niggling at you. These are usually a few hours long.
- available for support in several mediums throughout your pregnancy, including Skype, phonecall, text, and online chat, to discuss any worries or concerns you may have.
- exclusively on call and available to you from 38 weeks until your baby is born
- I also send positive birthing videos, positive affirmations, and photography inspiration to you on a daily basis, if you would like that, from 38 weeks until you birth.
- A set of custom birth affirmations, designed just for you, in your choice of colour scheme.
- you are able to borrow pregnancy and birth books from my extensive lending library
- use of my birth pool and water/air pumps
- use of one of my TENS machines
- use of my aromatherapy diffuser during labour and birth, as well as my jars of battery powered fairy lights and electric candles for use in home and hospital births
- 2 post-natal visits, one within the first week (complete with nutritious snacks taking into account your dietary requirements), and then one 2-4 weeks after the birth.
- use of one of my MamaPixie ring slings for 2 months after the birth.
- a handpainted babygrow as a gift from me to your baby and a hand-made ‘Big Brother’ or ‘Big Sister’ badge for older siblings.
I can facilitate a mother blessing event for you as well.
My previous clients are very happy to be contacted for personal references.
Not only that, I have had the pleasure of working with a wonderful York-based birth photographer, Laura Toomer. Laura offers an exclusive discount on bump, birth, feeding, and newborn photography to my doula clients. I cannot express how respectful and unobtrusive she is and the quality of her works speaks for itself. You can see more of her work on her website.